Valtellina Superiore 'Sassella' PG40

  • La Spia
  • Lombardia, Italy

Method & Production

The Nebbiolo grapes are hand-picked in mid-October, crushed, and de-stemmed. 75% of the grapes are fermented in stainless steel for two weeks at a controlled temperature with frequent delestages. The other 25% are fermented in 10HL French oak conical tank with submerged cap maceration of skins for 4 weeks. The resulting wine is put into 5 and 20 HL French oak barrels for 30 months. Then aged in bottle for 12 months before release.

Tasting notes

Bright ruby red. This is a deep and complex wine. Intense scent of cherry jam, pepper and tobacco, with nuance of dark chocolate. Very smooth palate, Nebbiolo dry tannins which evolve with age. Warm and fragrant with hints of almond at the end. Good persistence.

Food matching

Rich first courses, wild game meat, roasted red meat and aged cheese.